Friday, May 30, 2008

Shrinkage

I cannot believe I have forgotten to post about this since, the week it happened, it was about the funniest thing I'd heard in a month.

One Fish's teacher was talking to us in the teacher workroom (because you know I'm the kind of mom who can commonly be seen in the teacher workroom). Can't really remember what we were talking about, but somehow we got on space bags. You know the ones. They can take your entire seasonal wardrobe (using the term loosely, here) and condense it into a package the size of a waffle? She lost her home in The Storm in 2005 and was just moving back into her home. She said,

"You know what I hate about those bags?"

"What?!!" I say with great curiosity. There's NOTHING I hate about those bags, so she had my attention.

"When you put the clothes in there and leave them there for a long time, like two and a half years, you know what happens? The bags make the clothes shrink."
(Said with straight face and slightly concerned cock of the head)

Riiiiiiiiight. She also had a bulletin board outside her classroom with student renditions of the Mona Lisa on it. The title was "Our Mona Lisa's" In my head I was thinking "Our Mona Lisa's WHAT? Mona Lisa's cleavage all hanging out? Our Mona Lisa's strange little smile? Our Mona Lisa's looking a little crazy because a 7 year old drew her?" I leaned toward vandalism every time I passed it. But is it really vandalism if you're just protecting young minds from poor punctuation?

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I hate seeing bad grammar and punctuation. I'm a teacher, and I always make sure anything that will be seen at work/by anyone at work is edited and correct! That bulletin board would drive me nuts!

Marian said...

i can't stop laughing about the shrink wrap story...i'm wondering if she's smokin' something goofy.

but i'm washing the dishes this afternoon, and can imagine someone wrapping themselves with the shrink wrap and vacumming the air out...for weight loss!!! ha! imagine the informercial.

i'm no expert in the english language, but bad punctuation makes me itch.

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

She's a genius.

That must be what my closet is...a shrinking machine.

I thought my arse was growing bigger.

Sho' nuff I love the punctuation.