Friday, June 20, 2008

Some of my favorite things

The Scientist is quite concerned about my last post. Not that he reads this blog, but I did tell him I posted about our latest family activity. His concern is that since these people have made a career out of kickin' ass and we live within walking distance and his wife has now made fun of said ass kickers in a "public" forum, he could be in trouble. I laughed. They'd have to hear about it from someone else and I don't know anyone here who would rat me out. I can't say for sure, but they didn't strike me as big blog readers. Or readers at all, if truth be known.

Speaking of reading, I have been reading up a storm this summer. It's about time, too. It turns out there are some perks to having to spend the whole summer waiting for children to finish various activities and classes. Here are my two favorites so far:

THE TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE- this one is in all caps since it is so, so, so darned good. I resisted reading it for awhile since it sounded science fictioney. I'd tell you the general plot, but then you, too, would see it as science fictioney and wouldn't read it. You'll just have to trust me. It's good.

The Bean Trees- Barbara Kingsolver- Not as good as The Poisonwood Bible, but darn good.

The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook- Soups, Salads and Sides. This is #3 even though I was only naming my two favorite books I've read. It can't really be in the lineup since it's a cookbook, but if you like CPK fare, you need to check this out. Don't buy it for heaven's sake. Just check it out from the library, make the Oriental Salad, and swear you'll never buy another salad dressing. I'm making Thai Chicken rolls tonight. I'll let you know.

Now, go read. Go cook.

No comments: