Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fool!











The Mommy Show is not without its lighter moments.
This was the children's dinner tonight (totally stolen from Family Fun Magazine).
The "homemade chicken tenders" were actually sugar wafers coated in peanut butter and rolled in crushed cereal.
The "cupcakes" were actually meatloaf (a Paula Dean recipe I would highly recommend) with tinted mashed potatoes piped on top. You can think of me as sort of an evil Martha.

You can see One Fish's face when she tasted her "chicken, " but the meatloaf cupcake was the best. She looked down at her plate and was quiet while she chewed. Then politely excused herself for a drink of water. I started to laugh and couldn't stop. She finally looked up and said quietly, "Mom. This tastes like crap." I think it was the first time I've ever heard her use that word! It was hilarious and I couldn't stop laughing!!!

I tried to pass the jelly off as ketchup but Two Fish asked me why there was jelly on his plate. I told him it was a "new organic ketchup." That satisfied him and he didn't ask again, even after he was eating his "chicken" dipped in the new "ketchup." He was highly complimentary of how I'd fixed the "chicken" and said that it tasted like granola bar chicken. If it hadn't actually had a big ol' sugar wafer inside it I would have been making a mental note to make it again.
When I came clean (which was much quicker than planned since I couldn't stop laughing after One Fish made her "crap" pronouncement), they were suitably shocked and impressed. After spending about five lamenting how horrid meatloaf is, Two Fish allowed that this particular dish was actually pretty decent- given that it was not, after all, a fluffy, pink frosting covered baked good.
One Fish never did come around on the meatloaf and continued to mourn her lost cupcake through the rest of the meal. But, even she had to admit that she had not been aware what deceptive skill I had to fool them all day into believing they were having cupcakes for dinner. "How do you lie so well?!" she wanted to know. Oh, someday, little bear...someday...you, too, will learn...
If laughing at your children's expense doesn't say "family fun" I don't know what does.

5 comments:

jennifer said...

is one fish you or what!!! she is completely disecting that chicken.and the fact that she used "crap" correctly is astonishing. you should be so proud. i knew she was advanced but to have such vocabulary at her age is astounding. it makes me feel like crap that my children still say poo. jk.

Marian said...

awesome cool mom!

Momma Bee said...

Soooo.....are the "peas" real peas and the same with the "strawberries"??

I am quite inpressed!! You rock as a mom!!

Jenifer Lambert

Momma Bee said...

...and this is how I keep up with you! :)

You have entertained me for months now!!!

I couldn't be more proud!

:)

Margaret said...

This is awesome!!!! I was laughing reading your post---what a fun mom you are!! :)