Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Didn't See That Coming

Coming out of kindergarten open house this morning, in the pouring rain, I put my foot down on the step about 4 from the bottom and slipped. Not stumbled. Not skidded. My foot slid clear out from under me and suddenly I was on some sort of sitcom. As I hit every step on the way down I was thinking:

"Awww, crap, I can't believe I'm tripping on this step!"
"Really? Another step?"
"Why haven't I stopped yet?"
"What is this, step #3?"
Oh, geez- another one?! How many steps does this thing have, anyway?"
"OOOF! Yep, that last one'll leave a mark"
"Oh, thank God, I think I'm coming to a halt."

Red Fish, safely and securely perched on my hip, rode comfortably the whole way down. Didn't even fuss when I shlumped (heck, yes, that's a word!) him unceremoniously on the sidewalk after I confirmed that I wasn't dead yet- just surely in several pieces.

Lucky for me, my most sympathetic friend was the only one around at the moment and she raced to my rescue. Although she has an MD husband, his services were not required. We relatively quickly determined that 1) movement was a possibility and 2) that I was not going to throw up immediately.

Two Fish's comment after I finally spoke?

"He-he. Well, I didn't see THAT coming!"

The Scientist's comment when I got home?

"Were you wearing ridiculous shoes? Then I think you should see this as an opportunity for some fashion self-reflection"

He's lucky he said it with his cute smile on and that he was delivering Motrin and and and ice pack to me when he said it.

6 comments:

HMP said...

First, I'm glad you're okay. However, I am in tears laughing at your comments while falling. But, seriously, I'm glad you're okay. I have done the same, you're gonna be a little (alot) sore tomorrow. Motrin will be your friend :)

rebecca said...

How are you doing today? Plenty of Motrin. And know you have tons of sympathy from your friends!

Jenni B. said...

I am sorry Nell, I cannot stop laughing. You have a way with words, girl. I feel awful that you fell and hope you are doing okay but I still can't stop laughing at your description. I guess it's that same sick sense of humor I have that keeps me laughing at America's Funniest Home Videos year after year. People falling, makes me laugh.

5 Boys And Me said...

Isn't it a great mom skill that you can take a fall like this with a baby on your hip and they come without a scratch! I've done this more than once unfortunately - glad you didn't get really hurt!

Leslie said...

I am not laughing at you, but with you!! :) Glad to hear you are ok. If it makes you feel any better, I fell on my head in front of my entire high school (many years ago) and no one has forgotten it yet. I graduated in '92!!

Beth said...

Great description! Hope your aches & pains don't hang around for too long!