Thursday, March 26, 2009

No tickets to Sundance required

This is the conversation my children and I just had:

Two Fish: Mickey and Jesse are really into Star Wars.

Me: Really?

One Fish: Yeah! Mom, they talk about it all the time and Jesse has a light saber and everything!

Two Fish: Can I have a light saber?

Me: Why do you want a light saber?

Two Fish: Can I watch Star Wars and THEN get a light saber?

One Fish: Why can't we watch Star Wars?

Me: Well, I don't know that you can't watch Star Wars. Let me think about it.

One Fish: Ok, Mom. How about this. You read the book to us first, but skip any scary parts.

Two Fish: Yeah! Have you already read the book? Is it just like the movie?

Me: Guys, Star Wars isn't a book. It's just the movie.

(silence....)

Two Fish: (laughing) Well, then how did they know what to put in the movie?

One Fish: Mom! Of course it's a book! It has to be a book before it's a movie! Just check it out from the library and then tell us if it's OK for little kids!

(insert giggling from my children directed at their most ridiculous and evidently clueless mother)

It doesn't appear that we have any budding film careers here.

3 comments:

HMP said...

How funny... don't you just love the way their little minds work. Love reading your blog!

kelly bee said...

Kind of afraid to comment again, but we read Star Wars books all the freakin' time. I know they came after the movies, but we read them all the same.

Rebecca said...

As a reading teacher, I can't help but be impressed with you...You're obviously doing something right if your children believe all movies come from books! Now if I can just break my somewhat less literary husband of the magnetic attraction of movies or TV before children come...