Monday, July 27, 2009

Put Your Hands Together For...

The Mommy Show!!! (wait for wild applause to die down)

We're T-3 hours until the Mommy Show takes the stage for a two week run. The Scientist is entering his "busy season" around here and that means that this fish tank is about to get an overhaul. He'll be gone for two, home for two and then gone for four. Stop gasping- it only makes it worse.

Seriously though, I know what I'm doing by now when it comes to producing The Mommy Show. It's sort of like exam time when I was in college. There wasn't much to do other than...well, study. Survival and study. That was it. The Mommy Show is sort of like that. Just get it done while maintaining as much sanity as possible. Simple.

As usual, I am already planning what home improvements I will be doing while The Show is running. Usually, it's just a matter of rearranging furniture. This time, though, I have bigger plans. Usually, the term "bigger plans," when used by me and when used in the context of home improvement, can only end in disaster. However, I'm so optimistic this time.

My first project? Stripping the wallpaper off a bathroom wall. No clue how it's done, but I'm about to find out. Any tips? Pointers? Suggestions? Words of wisdom or caution?

5 comments:

HMP said...

I've taken down many a wallpaper...Its been several years, and all I remember is PAIN.FUL. You have to "score" the wallpaper really well for the stripping solution to soak in. Then, if you're lucky (and I mean really, really lucky) whoever hung the original wallpaper prepped the wall really well before they hung it. Otherwise, you'll be tearing off your sheetrock with it. Like I did. Good luck!

Debra said...

I always do at least one home improvement project when my husband goes out of town.

We just took down wallpaper last year. Not the most fun task but worth it. Scoring is important - you can get a little scoring tool @ Lowes (or wherever you shop for that kind of stuff) which makes it easy. I bought some stripping solution and it almost made me gag - very toxic. So I saw on HGTV.com that you can mix water and fabric softener in a spray bottle - check the website for ratios - it works like a charm. The people in the wallpaper dept @ Lowes were really helpful, too.

Good luck!

jennifer said...

i, too, become most productive when hubby is out of town. always get lots of small projects done. this sounds like a biggy. i have never done wallpaper..left it to the pros. but hear there are lots of new products to help make it easier. good luck. post some pics when you are done with your projects.

Jennifer said...

Hi, just found your blog and thought I'd share. We are remodeling a house with tons of wallpaper. Go buy a clothing steamer or borrow one from a friend. It's totally worth the money not only for your clothes, but for taking the wallpaper down easily. Just make sure you get one with a long cord and handle and a large attachment at the end to cover as much area at one time as possible. The one we have is generic I guess because I can't find a brand on it. It is black and silver and just says "steam cleaner" on the bottom. No need for fabric softener or a scoring tool! Hope this helps and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I did two ways: steaming and using TSP stripping. i burned my hands using the steamer. I liked the stripping solution better. It is a laborious task either way. I took down 6 rooms of floral paper when we moved into our cape cod 9 years ago. yuck!