Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Will Work For Shoes

WTF. The Scientist does not work for a car dealership and is not in the high-end restaurant business. Nor do we own a gift shop or a country club. The Scientist is not a cosmetic surgeon. So why, why, why are WE feeling the pinch of the economy?! I know, I know. It now takes as much to fill up the Mommymobile as I'm pretty sure my parents paid for my room and board for a semester at Clemson. The organic milk I used to buy (yes, I do buy into all that crap because we can't have One Fish "starting" when she's 8, now can we?) is now almost $4/half gallon. Do not even talk to me about cheese. Who are these cows that produce a product that warrants such a price and shouldn't the organic be cheaper since the farmers are saving all that money not having to buy pesticides and hormones and what not?!

That economic stimulus package that is coming out (please, God) next month? Contrary to what ol' W hopes (and I'm not by any means one to pile on ol' W or slam our executive office- I'm just telling it like it is here) we will not be taking a lavish vacation with our money. We will not buy appliances or electronics. We will not put a down payment on a car. We.Will.Pay.Off.The.Credit.Card. Because these last few months we've had to break our rule and use it and I'm not completely sure the minimum payment will be in our budget much longer. We may go ahead and prepay preschool. Or throw some money at our student loans so that we pay them off sometime before the fishies go to college themselves. But, we will not be becoming proud owners of a new swimming pool or game room or investing in stocks. Just so everyone knows.

Unfortunately, the first thing to go at times like these is...me. No more cute spring shoe shopping trips. No more visits to even the discount store for a few pairs of cute capris or some cutie spring polos. Even though my favorite clothing item in the world is flip flops (just about any pair), I will not be restocking the supply for this season. I will need all the extra money (and then some) to keep my toes in shape for LAST season's flip flops. Because the only thing that looks worse than old flip flops is old flip flops with k-mart feet in them, right?

6 comments:

Steel Magnolia said...

I know, I know...milk and cheese are ridiculous right now. I think it may be cheaper to just go by the cow!

kelly bee said...

we're going through a gallon of milk a day right now so organic is a thing of the past. the cake will hit puberty around 2nd grade.

feeling your pain,
kb

Anonymous said...

geez--not on sale our organic is $5.99 a gallon. My kids love inflation because they now get juice more than normal, so I get to buy milk less. So they will not have cancer or some weird hormone shift, but they will be obese and have type 2 diabetes. whatever--we'll just use the "economic stimulus package" to buy milk for the next year and a half!

STK

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

We won't be stimulating the economy either...basically we wrote a check for more than triple that for our taxes this year, so as far as we are concerned they are just giving me back some of the money i just gave them! i hate the irs!

April said...

Amen Sista....you said a mouthful...fun blog.

have a happy day