Thursday, January 8, 2009

De-Crapification

I did not coin this wonderful phrase. A long-lost aquaintance on facebook (crackbook) did, but I find it sooo appropriate. I am de-crapifying at least the kitchen today. I am half-way there and have reached the conclusion that it may actually be a several day process. So far, I have:

1) Filled a trashcan
2) Collected another trashbag of stuff to be given away
3) Beaten the Crazy Corner Cabinet of Chaos into submission
4) Threw out way more Halloween candy than I am willing to admit
5) Got sidetracked more than once by my beautiful new Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter (thnx Mom and Dad!)
6) Decided that if we are ever destitute I'll be the next rags-to-riches Martha story by inventing some plastic storage containers that don't cost a mortgage payment to buy AND all have tops that are the same size regardless of the size of the container.
7) Discovered to my surprise that I do not own half the Pampered Chef catalogue after all...
I own the whole damn thing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

but what a great feeling when you are done. then you walk in and open the cabinets just to bask in their glory. open, close, open, close. too bad no one else appreciates all the hard work. they suddenly just notice the next big mess in the house.
happy cleaning.

carolinagirl said...

LOL at #3...I thought I was the only one with a cabinet like that. AND we did throw out the Halloween candy, BUT you should see the Christmas stocking candy that now fills one of my drawers.

MatersandMelons said...

Oh, don't even get me started on my kitchen...it is so small it is ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

Sometime last winter when we were so addicted to the Halloween candy, we moved it to the freezer. Then I had to throw that out a year later. Not a strategy I endorse, but cold reese's cups are GOOD!
STK

Anonymous said...

You are cracking me up - I'm glad someone else finds "de-crapification" to be as useful a phrase as I have. Now if I could only do more of it instead of talking about it.

You would make my husband the happiest person in the world if you are ever able to invent the containers you discuss in #6. I rarely go more than a day or two without hearing him root around in our cabinets while grumbling about finding the top to match whatever Tupperware/Gladware/Ziploc/cheap Ikea container in which he's stashed the dinner leftovers.