Saturday, January 3, 2009

You CAN go home again

It's true. I don't care what they say. I moved away from "home" (Columbia, SC) six years ago. Since then, I've learned: to make friends and bloom where I am planted, how to survive after a hurricane, when to ride out a hurricane, that mustard bbq isn't the only kind there is, how to be a stay-at-home mom without losing my mind, how to make gumbo, red beans and rice and where to get the best king cakes and... that there are lots of different ways to "be at home."

Since I'm in Columbia for the next few days, The Girls and I went out last night. The beauty of it was that these are the girls I've been "going out" with since middle school and this activity has undergone lots of transformations over the years. Last night, I laughed until I choked, cried, made fun of just about everyone, got made fun of, ate about 3 lbs. of tortilla chips and salsa, compared notes on children, gossiped, giggled like a school girl, and got some suggestions for good books, restaurants and lip gloss. Oh, and we got a good start on planning our 20th high school reunion. Not that we want to plan it. We mostly just laid down some rules about how we thought the planners could really screw it up. And not that we're that old either. I'm not saying my 20th is right around the corner. I'm just saying it's going to happen at some point and that it may or may not be the next big post-HS milestone. So, don't go making any assumptions.

My favorite part of last night was that no one really changes all that much. We've mellowed with age (thank God) and have a good bit more sense than we used to (thank God). The wonderful qualities of each one of us that made us friends to begin with have only gotten more pronounced now that we've had a few decades to season them and finish digging them out from under teenage insecurity. But, the girls I met in fifth grade are still there. They're just funnier, kinder, wiser, and more beautiful now. Thank God.

It's so, so, good to be home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good to have you home. Love you! STP

Leslie said...

Sounds like you had a good time! Columbia always holds a special place in my heart...I went to school there and lived there for a few years after. I always seem to have a great time when I am in town. Glad you had fun with your friends!! By the way, I found your blog through Clemsongirl. Hope you don't mind a stranger making a comment!! :)

Anonymous said...

i could sloppy cry right now. i was checking to see if by chance you had blogged thinking i might read that funny blog-worthy story... hoping for a good laugh. the good thing is no matter what or how long when we do get together it is right where we left the bookmark in the story. i love seeing you and miss you even more afterwards...but it is a good thing. it reminds me how so fortunate i am to have you guys. i can now hear your voice again in my head, see your beautiful smile, and i have hugged and loved on my dog more than ever. thanks for being you.
oh..and keep typing away. i am ready for the blog-worthy story again....

MatersandMelons said...

Isn't it nice to get together with old friends and just be able to pick up right where you left off? I got together with my girlfriends from first grade and before over Christmas, and we always have a great time together. It is so nice and easy!

just ask beth said...

I love Columbia, reconnecting with your BFF'S from HS are the best, there are 5 of us that still talk all of the time, priceless friendships..