Friday, February 29, 2008

Cabin Fever

The recent strep infection in his throat has rendered Two Fish incapable of doing anything productive (I realize how hilarious that sounds given that he is FOUR). Inexplicably however, it has in no way affected his ability to talk. A lot. Approximately 18 hours straight every day. In a really loud voice. For the past four days. How is it that he is able (driven?) to chat me up about anything/everything under the sun, and at times about the sun and stars too, but he is obviously incapable of so much as getting dressed. And has had a 103 fever. I can't whisper when I have a 103 fever. Not that I can remember being that sick. But I do think that any communication I'd be having at the point of a 103 fever would be limited to silent prayers to God for death.

I always feel guilty when I treasure moments with my sick, cuddly, innocent children. Aren't they so dear when they are sick and need their mommy? But, I do think that if we are to forego preschool for four days straight so that I can care for, cuddle and doctor my ill child, that the least I should get out of it is some blessed silence. I do have Red Fish, of course, but he is still pretty silent. Or at least his babbles don't require an immediate response from me or for me to make up an answer to an unanswerable question (like, "Do you remember that person with that thing that time we went to the place and we saw the people and all that stuff? Mom? Mom? Do you remember?).

We are going "on holiday" this weekend. I know. Please do not comment on the wisdom or lack thereof of taking a recovering child out of town. But he has been fever free for 24 hours. And it turns out that his temperature is in inverse proportion to his spoken words/minute. As it goes down, the words go up- as if that should even be possible. We have had the tripped planned and Two Fish and I especially need a change of scenery. The Scientist will be home in two hours. I'm considering taking a page from his book and hiding out in the bathroom with my ipod on for at least an hour of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our child the same age literally does not even stop talking in his sleep. I told MDK I was going to get one of those clicky/counter thingies so I keep tally of how many times he said "mama" everyday. Every single blessed sentence starts with "Mama"--pause for me to say yes. If I do not then he just repeats "mama!!" very much more loudly. I want ear plugs for Easter. . .

STK