Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Here comes Trouble

You would really think that if I'm going to be a parent with a child at a school for the next 10 years, that I would wait to cause a big fat stink until at least, say, year 4. Nope. Not me. Because I'm an overachiever. So, when I was reprimanded over the CLASSROOM INTERCOM by the main office during a visit to One Fish's classroom yesterday, I was sure that the issue could be dealt with using a little grace and aplomb. Wrong. Using my best Miss Congeniality voice, I called the main office after I got home and explained that I was very sorry for not following the directions that I didn't hear them give as I was on my way into the school, but I really wasn't sure that the situation called for a public dressing down in front of a classroom of first graders. Would you believe that the secretary (or whoever she was- never Miss Congeniality, that's for damn sure) suggested that I was lying and actually heard their directions, but choose not to follow them. Please do not fear, angry readers. I did ask to speak to the Big Kahoona herself. La Principala. I will spare you the frustrating and annoying details by simply saying that I "can't get no satisfaction." It was a pleasant enough conversation, but neither side was giving an inch. So. Being the daughter of my mother that I am, I went up. Way up. Into the school district office and right down the hall to the superintendents office. He is a man, but I will certainly vote for him if he is ever in a pageant. Or election. Or anything. He is a genius and today wins the Fishy Busyness award for congeniality (ie- the award for those who go out of their way to make me happy). Would you believe that he was on the phone to me just one hour after receiving my thoughtful and well-written letter (read-dissertation) on the unfortunate incident and it's aftermath? He completely agreed with my assessment of the stupidity of the whole thing, which does, indeed, make him, as I said, a genius. He will be making an appointment with the administrators in question to discuss the issue. This means that I think One Fish can kiss anymore Good Citizen awards goodbye, but sometimes we have to stand on principal, don't we? As our conversation came to a close, he gave me the one thing I'd been after all along. An apology. Praise God. Someone heard me and sympathized.

One Fish had a onesie as an infant that said "I am woman. Hear me ROAR." I wish I had a t-shirt like that. I'd wear it up to the school tomorrow for volunteer Wednesdays. Cause walking in there tomorrow is going to take some real kahoonas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't you hate when you have to kick some butts early in the relationship? for me to be further outraged, you're going to have to spill exactly what their issue was. did you not sign in or something? signing in was big at the school i pulled the gamer out of last year.

Melissa said...

Good for you!

I work in a school and we value our parents big time. We would NEVER treat a parent that way!

Good luck going in there tomorrow! You can do it!

Fishy Busyness said...

Are you kidding! Of course I signed in and was even wearing my official visitor pass that I had gotten for signing in. Apparently, they were trying to ask me if they could help me get some things to the classroom (ie- don't go walking around OUR school with an unapproved sibling on your hip)but I didn't hear them (what with the 2 bazillion kids in the hallway and all) and so didn't turn around. That was the issue.

Anonymous said...

Came here to get the rest of the story. . .because I will not have a complete phone conversation for approximately ten more years. Anywho, Donna was on a first name basis with the super in our district, who had the misfortune of living around the corner. She got his HOME NUMBER from the neighborhood (his mistake) and proceeded to call him at night or on the weekends with her complaints. It was really quite effective. I figure I will never match those kahoonas, so whatever I choose to do is just fine!!

STK

workinthatpreppy said...

is there such a thing really as an unapproved sibling? i'm going to "the top" with my sewing machine issue too. i just want someone to say they're sorry too!