Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Stop the Madness

The madness is going to stop. I am going to learn to feed my chilren's mother well balanced and nutritious meals and not just feed her the scraps off their plates if it kills me (and it probably won't). If whole grains are important for them to eat, then surely they are important for me to eat too. I will stop looking at the price tags of the best, most nutritious, least processed foods and weighing in my head whether or not it is "worth it." It is.

I will stop considering diet soda one of the major food groups.

I will start to think of my daily vitamin as essential to our family's well-being.

I will stop getting on the scale and raising my eyebrows. I might just throw the scale away. Who cares what I weigh as long as I feel good?

I will foster my love of cooking. I will drink red wine while I'm going it.

I will buy exotic, fresh ingredients at the grocery and learn to use them. Doesn't it seem appropriate to get all Euro and just say "at the market" or "at the grocery" when talking about exotic, fresh ingredients instead of "I'll buy exotic fresh ingredients at Walmart?" Walmart and exotic don't seem to go together. At all.

I will cook vegetables I love and will learn to cook them well. I will discover new ones I didn't even know I liked. Or that existed, for that matter. I will eat lots of them. I will encourage my family to do the same.

This fish tank is getting an upgrade...

3 comments:

Mocha Freak said...

Laughing out loud ... I feel ya sister. You are an inspiration to me today!

Jill said...

Oh how I wish I could give up Diet Soda. And thank goodness red wine is "good for you"! ha! I recently discovered the deliciousness of roasted veggies. Throw a bunch of your favorite raw veggies in a baking dish, drizzle with olive oil, can add salt and pepper if you want, bake for 30-40 min at 350 and enjoy. Even my 2 year old gobbles it up. So good and so easy! And all these years it never occured to me to make it.

Beth said...

3 things...

1. Diet soda isn't a food group?
2. My children's mother needs to start taking care of herself too.
3. I have an awesome recipe for some wok-seared green beans. My family BEGS for them.