Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Knuckle Up...

At dinner last night with my relatively proper in-laws, Two Fish looks at The Scientist and says "Daddy?" After getting the go-ahead "yes?" he proceeded to put his fist out and say in the sort of resonating voice that only a four year old about to say something atrocious can achieve, "Knuckle up, pimp!" Yes, we were in public. Yes, there were lots of people who heard. Yes, they laughed.

My in-laws did not.

Somehow, The Scientist has not learned the same basic truth of parenthood that I have: The degree of inappropriate-ness of a child's comment is in direct proportion to the number of people around and in inverse proportion to how much you wish for them to say that exact thing at that exact moment. If that is giving you some wicked HS algebra flashbacks, let me break it down for you. What he said was really inappropriate, therefore, he had to say it in front of lots of people and in front of his grandparents. Darn you, Mr. Scientist Man..

My MIL delivered a (very appropriate) mini-lecture on the wisdom (not) of teaching children "funny" ((not) things and then expecting them not to repeat them in public. I am not ashamed to say that I piled on the "Darn you, Mr. Scientist Man" pile and contributed some advice of my own. To be completely honest, I'm not sure he heard a word of it. He was still laughing too hard.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made me laugh (and I am so dorky and domestic now that I don't even exactly know what it means!!)

STK

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

Word little one! I am renaming your blog, KUP...

Amy said...

Too funny...My kids often flash gangsta signs and ask for knuckles...I think it is socially acceptable :)