Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Mother-of-the-Year Application is now complete

We're entertaining tomorrow. I refuse to mop my kitchen floor until tomorrow about 30 min. before they arrive. Except that I just had to because it was so disgusting. The intent of that little anectdote is not to emphasize how anal and clean I am, but to demonstrate how completely disgusting the floor was. Totally gross.

As part of the prep for tomorrow's festivities and as a way to keep them busy and out of my hair, the Fishies are cleaning. Not Redfish, though. He's just splashing in the tub. The "playroom" they are cleaning is actually more of an extension of our patio, although it is enclosed and I think is technically considered a sunroom. It is one of our rooms that gets dangerously messy because we tend to just shut the door and pretend it isn't out there. If we ever get around to the addition we have been meaning to put on the house, that room will be the first to go. Iwant it torn off the house and replaced completely. I know, I know, destruction+ construction costs more than just construction. But, I don't care. I even saw that as a silver lining right after hurricane Katrina. I was just sure that the damn thing had blown clear off the house. It was obviously an afterthought when this house was built. Oh, no such luck. The damn thing is apparently built like the proverbial poop house and was standing there in all its crappy glory when we returned. I even had the kids excited about going to buy more toys. I was that sure it was gone.

Anyway, I have cracked the whip and given them one hour to get it straightened (they could have it done in about 20 if they wanted to). Anything not in its place after an hour is MINE. How's that for cutting edge parenting?

1 comment:

kelly bee said...

i'm always threatening to throw away anything left on their bedroom floors. i just grab a trash bag and head to their rooms and they nearly knock me down in the hall to beat me there!