Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ace of Cakes?

In one week the children and I leave on an odyssey that will take us through six states in four days and will include visits with two dear friends(including Clemsongirl, yeah!) , one aging grandmother, an aunt and my sister and her lovely family. It will also include a several hour stop in Clemson because...well, it's Clemson. Of course, we're stopping.

This odyssey will end in northern Virginia where we will spend a few days with my in-laws (and meet up with The Scientist who is way too smart to drive up with us- he'll be flying when the work week is over). From there, we will pile in respective vans and go to Williamsburg, VA with my brother-in-law's family and my in-laws for a week. We'll be staying here. It has an indoor water park which makes it the perfect destination for my pigment-challenged family. I wish I could digress at this point for some pointed snarky remarks about The Scientist's family. However, I couldn't get along any better with them and actually look forward to time with them. Disappointing, I know.

After being gone two weeks, we head back down south (The Scientist couldn't get out of it this time- he's splitting the driving with me on the way back). Two days after we return, One Fish starts school. Three days after she starts school, I have planned Red Fish's first birthday party. The day after that, we will host Two Fish's fifth birthday party. Two days after that, The Scientist goes out to sea for a month. We're on a schedule here, people.

I've been getting everything done that needs to be done before we go. Planning the parties, buying supplies, finishing school supply lists, etc.

I have a thing about making the fishies' birthday cakes. Don't get me wrong. I oooh and ahhh with everyone else and am genuinely impressed at the cakes purchased by others for their children. They're darling. Really. But, I have had a "thing" since One Fish was born about making their cakes myself. Besides, I probably don't have much time before she insists upon something stupid like Zac Effron's face airbrushed on her cake-top, so I really should bake them myself and make them darling while I can, right? I don't do "airbrushed."

I am determined to figure out fondant for Red Fish's cake. Because, can you get any cuter than these? Make sure to keep scrolling until you see the Clemson cake, too. I'll take one of those, please.

I'm off to buy marshmallows for the recipe for the marshmallow fondant. I need a trial run. I bought the most beautiful blue icing coloring yesterday and plan to have fondant in several shades of it. This is turning into quite the project.

I'll be sure to post pictures of the Walmart cake I end up ordering...

1 comment: