Sunday, July 6, 2008

Raise your hand if you can say "Oedipus"

Last night, The Scientist and I were headed out to enjoy an overpriced sushi dinner and the movie Hancock. Our ninth anniversary warranted such, don't you think? Actually, our anniversary isn't until the 10th, but my neighbor was volunteering to babysit on the 5th, not the 10th and you know what they say about beggars, right? Two Fish was extremely unhappy about this activity. You see, he had spent the entire day with The Scientist doing whatever boys do on Saturdays. My guess was that he was so very unhappy because I was stealing his adored father away and he had been hoping that his little testosterone-fest would last into the night.

I finally worked the Mommy-Magic and got him dressed in a favorite shirt and headed over to movie night at my neighbor's house. I came back to shower and get dressed like a grown up. Thirty minutes later, I was dressed in grown-up clothes and even had on jewelry and wedge heels. We dropped a bag with jammies in it next door before we headed out. All three fishies ran to give me a kiss before I backed out the door, threatening bodily harm if anyone touched their spaghetti face on my white linen pants.

This morning the following conversation occurs:
Two Fish- Mommy, I bet you were jealous of the girls last night.

Me- Oh, yeah? Why is that?

Two Fish- Because I was wearing that shirt and you love to see me in that shirt!!

Me- Oh, yes, you're right. I was very jealous!

Two Fish- But, it's OK if you were jealous.

Me- Yep, I guess we're all jealous of something sometime, aren't we?

Two Fish- Yes, like I was jealous of Daddy last night because he got to go out with you and you were so pretty and fancy and he got to go out with you instead of me go out with you, right?

Me- That's right, darling boy.


And that, ladies, is why it's good to have at least one boy.

1 comment:

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

And yet the minis never say anything like that to me...

Hmmmm, maybe I need to borrow those pants! (which are the ones you got when I was visiting?)