Wednesday, August 20, 2008

(Not so) Quick Updates

The cakes did not completely do me in. I know I haven't posted in forever (and three days). But, I have good excuses, really. No snarky comments from you military wives out there, but I've been just keeping my head above water what with The Scientist gone and all. See, we're not really a family set up for one parent to be gone. Other than the fact that I'm the mommy and I'm a master "handler" of things, of course. Other than that, life runs much more smoothly when both of us are here. Much more expensively when both of us are here too, but that's a post for another day.

In lieu of a real post, I'll just give some updates:

1) One Fish got into The Gifted Program. I did indeed refuse to see her IQ score which I'm sure put a big F for Freak on my Mommy File. But, as I told them: An IQ score never got you into college, got you a scholarship or got you a job, did it? With three children, one of them is going to be lower than the others (and someone will be higher) and do you really want all that in your head?

2) Red Fish needs to learn how to freakin' walk already...

3) I need a part-time job. Really, really part-time. Just enough to bring in about $500/month. Or The Scientist needs a raise. One or the other. I'm really rooting for The Scientist here, obviously.

4)Two Fish is going through a "phase." No going anywhere or to anyone's house without me. This is sad since it's really limiting his end of summer fun because he won't go on playdates or sleepovers. More importantly, my life would be soooooo much easier if he would just get over it.

5) The Scientist is gone but will be back for a few nights in about a week and a half. Then he'll be gone for a month.

6) My mom is coming in a few weeks. Please, please, please hurry up. I need reinforcement.

7) Our German Shepherd Dog is not doing well. Did you know that GSs are the only dog with the word "Dog" in their official title? He has the doggie vesion of MS. I haven't posted about this because, quite frankly, it is just too awful to write about. He is The Scientist's dog and he was a puppy when we met. To say they are bonded doesn't even begin to cover it. The Time is coming (and is actually upon us) and we all know it, but talk about it as little as possible. I think The Scientist is almost happy to be gone because it is an escape from reality where this is concerned. The other side of him knows that he is missing some of the last days of his beloved friend. Being a pet owner is such a gift, but at times like this you are reminded that it is a tremendous responsibility as well.

8) The dentist says we can hold off on setting up the orthodontic funds for the time being. Everyone has to get a break sometime, right?

9) Two Fish starts school Friday. He'll be with the fours in the Montessori school. I know- he just turned five. That discussion means I have blog fodder for tomorrow. Stay tuned to read my gripes about interfering people who think I'm crazy for deciding not to send my barely five year old to kindergarten.

4 comments:

Marian said...

In 12 years you'll be glad you're not sending a 17year old to college!!

Miss you guys! Hope to see you at the studio tonight!

Monogramchick said...

Wanted to say "hi"! I just came from Clemson Girl's blog and have enjoyed reading yours! Sounds like you have your hands full with your little fishies!

Melissa said...

I started kindergarten at 4 1/2, which in the end, was a fine decision for me, but my parents agonized over it, and almost held me back 2 separate times in 2 separate grades (K and 4th due to my sucky math ability) You really don't need that stress, and it was kind of weird to be 17 and going to college, and not turning 21 till halfway into my senior year (I am a December b-day).

Anonymous said...

The gifted program is a hoot. however, i will say depending on where you are in school it has its pluses since it weeds out some folks and some folks parents. plus she will tend to have the same friends in her classes each year. i guess that could be good or not so good. but remember, that was us and we got lots of extra privileges that others didn't. wait....now that i think about it we were way to trusted and way too cocky. pull her out NOW!!! glad you are back. i will keep the gs in my thoughts. as a doggie lover i can only imagine...isn't that a song??..our day will be coming soon too.i mean with our dog...hopefully not US us. just heartbreaking.