Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Foodies

I could be such a foodie with just a little more budget and a little less willingness to settle for the provincial. But, I do love to do what I can with what I've got. I love imagining what certain flavors and textures would be like mixed together. I love trying new foods. I am not picky. I can read cookbooks like others read Pat Conroy. So, I have been on a quest for awhile for a good food blog. I am not a huge fan of super fancy (ie- time consuming) foods, but I also don't like recipes that all start with "1 lb. of ground beef." Ina Garten is a genius in my eyes. She is perfect.

I keep trying to remember to do Foodie Fridays, but I am not even organized enough to do that. I have been forgetting for weeks now. So, today we'll do Foodie Wednesdays (because, as Clemsongirl says, Wordless Wednesdays are for sissies). Kicking it off, we'll have a Four Foods Meme which I completely stole from www.funcraftsandrecipes.com (of you, consider yourself tagged).

#1. What is your favorite kind of cheese for snacking? String cheese. The twisty kind that has white and cheddar. Sad, I know. If the kiddie string cheese were not so readily available and we had a gourmet budget, I'd go with thin slices of any very pungent, strong, exotic cheese (preferably with some figs, dates, or other delightful fruit).

#2. What is your favorite kind of jelly? Just about anything homemade (really, I'm a jam girl, instead of jelly, if truth be known). I made salsa jelly one summer (go ahead, be impressed...). It was absolutely ridiculous over some cream cheese and on a cracker.

#3. Yogurt. Regular or custard style? I don't really care. Dannon is my preference.

#4. Share a recipe for a stew or soup. MMM. I love soup. Here is a recipe for a stew that is yummy, so filling, easy to make, and is great on cold days.

Oven Baked Split Pea and Lentil Soup
2 (32 oz) cans broth
1 cup dried split peas
1 cup dried lentils
4 carrots, sliced
4 celery ribs, sliced
2 red bell peppers, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in an ovenproof Dutch oven. Bake covered at 350 for 2 hours or until peas and lentils are tender.

No comments: