Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pretty cut and dry today.

Here are today's basics.

Five things that make me happy today
1) Our school system seems to have more holidays than not. We get three days off for Mardi Gras for crying out loud. We have a week off for T'giving. We have over a week off for Easter. Today is not a holiday. Praise God.

2) My oregano and parsley (curly leaf AND Italian- because that's how I roll) seem to have given the herbal middle finger to the one month we consider "winter" around here. Apparently no one else in the herby daycare I've got going out back filled them in that they had better go ahead and expire like they're supposed to in the winter since one month was about all you get around here as far as months with a mean temperature less than 70 degrees. They have instead used said month to grow to the size of bushes and now smell delightful in my spaghetti sauce.

3) The gnats and mosquitos are temporarily at bay since today is one of the 30 days in the year that it is not 128 degrees outside. It is also slightly breezy. This means that my children will have no indoor time in which to mess up the two rooms of the house that I've managed to clean this morning.

4) Dinner is done. See #2.

5) Mt. Washmore (to steal a phrase from Clemsongirl) is being conquered. This is why only 2 rooms are clean. Rome wasn't build (or burned) in a day.


Five Things That Are Just Unacceptable Today

1) The kitchen floor. And The Most Wonderful Woman On Earth doesn't come for another week. There are things on it that I'm certain I don't recognize.

2) The fact that I have to go to Walmart. Someone should open a business doing Walmart runs for people. If I had the cash I would pay someone to do it. But I don't. Which is why I'm making a Wallyworld run instead of driving 45 min. to a Target. Anyone want to calculate how much 1.5 hours in the car would cost me?

3) It is completely possible that I have re-injured my toe. The Scientist asked what happened. I took this to mean "What on earth could you have done now? How in the world is one so clumsy as to do this twice in a month?" I answered that I was pretty sure that (being the human milk bar and all) I couldn't see where my foot was going to land when it swung out from my body. By the time it clears the boobs and swings into my field of vision, disaster cannot be averted. It seems a reasonable theory to me... Regardless of how it happened, it hurts like hell and may require a visit to my pantry pharmacy tonight.

4) There is no TV on tonight. At least nothing trashy or tabloid enough for my taste. No Rock of Love for another 5 days. High School Reunion doesn't come on until tomorrow. WAIT?! Is Idol on tonight or tomorrow night? Tonight may be salvaged. My dear friend SD maintains that she had to resort to watching Ultimate Fighting when she was recovering from having baby girl. I haven't gone there yet and will try to hold off as long as possible. I do not forsee it being necessary.

5) Could Redfish please learn to sleep for more than 4 hours in his bed already?!!! Unacceptable, unacceptable, unacceptable. We are both in for a long day since I am a wus (for lack of a more descriptive and perhaps more appropriate term) and brought his screaming, manipulative self into our bed at 12:30 last night. This ended any hope for sleep for me for the night as he really seems to sleep best when he presses up against me. I think he also must find my increased heart rate soothing when I jerk awake just before falling off my small sliver of bed. The Scientist was attempting to pacify my irritation by murmuring little things like "he just wants to be near his mommy." Well no offense to the little fellow, but there is a time and place for everything and when you are 7 months old and 23 lbs., nighttime is a time for sleep and your own personal and spacious sleeping space is the place to do it. I swear when I finally flung the door open and picked him up, he chuckled. Imp. It's a good thing he's cute.

5 comments:

clemsongirlandthecoach said...

I have something for you today on my blog. Please check it out.

Caffeine Court said...

The sleeping thing sounds all too familiar.

My 4 year old likes to get in bed with us and PUSH me to the edge of the mattress where I hang on for dear life for the rest of the night!

I'm sooo tired!

Anonymous said...

My new theory on laundry is just shut the door--I cannot see it and we all still have some clothes left to wear. If only the boys would stop complaining about wearing their summer jammies--it is not that cold right now, right?

STK

Mama Byrd said...

I am Laughing hysterically at your description of your night's sleep - or lack thereof! I myself am a victim of a manipulative little boy! I thought it was just my imagination that he seemed to chuckle as i FINALLY enter his room after 25 minutes of Screaming!
I thought women were exaggerating when they said that they didn't sleep for the first 5 years!
enjoyed your post.

workinthatpreppy said...

mine finally sleep all night in their own beds...my youngest is 8. enjoy it...i think?