Sunday, September 7, 2008

Five to Go...

I have five posts to go before I hit 100! It really doesn't seem like I've had that much to say (and many may argue that I haven't).

My mom is gone. Which means that I actually have to parent and keep house again. Damn.

We took her to the airport this morning at 4:45. Absurd, I know. I have evidently been living right because so far none of the fishies has fallen to the ground in a feet kicking tantrum, managed to take a nap or stabbed a sibling in the eye. All possibilities after going to bed at 10 and waking up at 4:45. The nap thing sounds counterintuitive, but in another strange twist of child-rearing logic, if a child of mine takes a one hour nap to make up for missing 4 hours of sleep the night before, said child will not be able to fall asleep that night until 3 hours past their regular bedtime. It's got to be the new math- I know it's confusing.

Since I haven't had to referee too many arguments today, I have kicked some serious tail in the kitchen. Why do I not have a meat-eating husband to take advantage of my kitchen genius? We're having: Yummy Crockpot Chicken (recipe to follow- no idea what it's called but you need to do it PRONTO. Trust me...), fried okra (no, of course I didn't get it from a bag. Or Walmart), collard greens (yes, of course I know the fishes won't be touching them. But I will), lima beans (because they will touch those), watermelon, pumpkin pie (where else but here can you eat watermelon and pumpkin pie in the same meal? It seems sort of wrong, doesn't it?).

Here's the recipe for the chicken yumminess. You're just going to have to trust me here because it's going to sound too odd for words:

Into a crockpot, dump a can of jellied cranberry sauce (you know, the nasty kind that slides out of the can and still holds its shape?) into a crockpot. Sprinkle a packet of dry onion soup mix over that. Add poultry of your choice. I use chicken breasts or a turkey breast. Add some big ol' chunks of carrot if your family is into that sort of thing. We have a few who are and a few who aren't. Turn that puppy on and let her go. Stir it every now and then just to get the juices over the chicken. You'll think it looks too soupy. It isn't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happen to have those ingredients in the house, so my family can be expecting some chicken yumminess this week. I love the crockpot because I had to cook and hate to clean up after cooking more. My sad family will NOT get all those sides. Possibly a salad, but not definitely. . .sorry your mom is gone!

STK

Melissa said...

I am going to try out that recipe! Sounds delicious!