Wednesday, September 24, 2008

May I Suggest?


I almost used this time/space to post the yummilicious recipe for bruschetta chicken that we enjoyed tonight and that the unsuspecting families of supper swap will enjoy in the next month. But, I am leaning toward suggesting something a little more inspiring than chicken. No matter how inspiring it's bubbly goodness was. It was still chicken, after all.

I love traditions. Especially quirky holiday traditions. And nothing makes me happier than to realize that I'm on to something so good that it might warrant a Tradition. The two older fishies and I just finished reading The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (where the heck is the underline button?)

I read the book years ago and thought it was hilarious. We saw the play last year in our community theater and this year One Fish has decided she wants to audition for the angel choir. So, we decided to read the book again before the audition date.

Wow, wow, wow. The children were riveted by it. Two Fish begged for more chapters each night. This is a book that begs to be read aloud and reads easily. As with many books originally intended for children, it is best read with lots of expression and voice changes for the characters.

I actually got choked up reading the last few pages of the book. Here is one excerp:
" When Imogene asked me what the pageant was about, I told her it was about Jesus, but that was just part of it. It was about a new baby, and his mother and father who were in a lot of trouble- no money, no place to go, no doctor, nobody they knew. And then, arriving from the East (like my uncle from New Jersey) some rich friends.
"But Imogene, I guess, didn't see it that way. Christmas just came over her all at once, like a case of chills and fever. And so she was crying, and walking into the furniture."

The children and I have decided that we will read it every Christmas season. Sort of like the family tradition I grew up with of reading the Christmas Carol (the Charles Dickens one) aloud every holiday season. This tradition has pretty much had a failure to launch in this household because of The Scientist's insistence that there are few things he won't do for me, but that at the top of the short list is: "Sit around like a dork reading Charles Dickens aloud to one another." Marriage is full of compromise and if this is the biggest concession I ever have to make, then I will have gotten off easy indeed.

But, I think that Barbara Robinson (author) is a little differen from Dickens. I'm already looking forward to starting the first of the seven chapters a week before Christmas and to sobbing through the last page or two on Christmas eve.

7 comments:

Joy said...

OOh this will have to be added to our list.

We have a few traditions but they all relate to xmas. First we start December with 2 things our avent calendar in which the elves leave a little something everynight, and also we have a shelf elf-Have you ever heard of it? We started this last year.

He came to us one night and perched himself at the bottom of the tree and had a special book with instuctions. He likes crackers and water and he will hang out and watch everyday then at night he will go to Santa and give a report! The next am he will be in a new place and you have to find him. Oldest loved it last year I can't wait to start this year.

We also on xmas eve give a gift of new special pjs and slippers to wear. We also feed the reindeer and santa of course. We also read "Twas the night before Christmas" yes we are the dorks that gather on the couch while hubs reads :)

Beth said...

One of my favorite books when I was a kid. We have read it every year since my oldest (now in college) was about 5. Have you seen the movie? I found it on ebay a few years ago, we always watch that after we're done with the book.

Marian said...

LOVE that book!! it's a hit in our house!

Anonymous said...

i, too, love the holidays for all the traditions. and i love that the kids are starting to remember them each year. cannot wait to get the book. the chill in the air is getting me excited about thanksgiving and christmas. yeah.

Anonymous said...

I love this book--as did Grandonna, which should come as no surprise!

STK

Kim said...

Get the audio version, it's hilarious. We used to listen to it in the car when the kids were little. Ninety minute drive goes by in a flash.

Our church theater group is doing this play in December. I love it.

Tommy, Erica, Addie Kate, and Andrew said...

I'm a teacher and mom, and LOVER of all books! This is a major favorite. Robinson also came out with The Best Halloween Ever and it is almost as good. But if you can't wait till Christmas to read the other one, then I do suggest it. We are reading it in my 4th grade class right now and they love it. She also has The Best School Year Ever, just FYI. I love the Herdmans!